A podcast about film photography is an oxymoron of sorts. You can’t show anything about what is, to its core, a visual medium! Yet listening to people talk about gear, films, and the creative process can give you excellent ideas for your own work.
In a companion of sorts to my big annual list of film photography blogs, here’s a list of podcasts by film photographers.
These podcasts are active: they release episodes regularly and have released episodes recently. They also meet my subjective standards for interest and production quality.
I’m linking to these podcasts’ Web site when they have one. If they don’t, I’m linking to their page at Apple Podcasts. If that doesn’t work for you, search for these podcasts on the whatever service you use.
What made me create this list is finding out about a new podcast about the creative side of photography by Daniel Sigg, who shoots primarily film. It debuted yesterday! Have a listen here.
Here now, the podcasts:
- All Through a Lens: An irreverent bi-weekly podcast about the ups and downs of film photography, by Vania and Eric.
- Analog Talk: Christine Bartolucci and Timothy Ditzler talk about film photography. Each week they bring on a special guest co-host and discuss their love of analog photography.
- Classic Camera Revival: Alex Luyckx looks at cameras, lenses, films, and development, and offers tips, tricks, and techniques for all things related to film photography.
- Classic Lenses Podcast: Photography with classic manual-focus lenses, by Simon Forster, Perry Ge, and Johnny Sisson.
- Create. Photography.: All about the creative side of photography, from Daniel Sigg, who shoots primarily film.
- Daily Photography Blog: Kenneth Wajda, a professional photographer, shares his thoughts on all things photography, street photography, personal projects, commercial work, and more.
- Embrace the Grain: Sherry Christensen chats mainly about analog photography, with hints of digital photography included. Located in Alberta, Canada she talks about the challenges of shooting in a rural area and the special challenges involved.
- Film Photography Podcast: The Granddaddy of them all. Michael Raso, Matt Marrash, Leslie Lazenby, and several regular contributors talk film photography. Since 2009!
- The Lensless Podcast: All about pinhole photograph — artists, camera makers, gear discussions, techniques, and ideas.
- Matt Loves Cameras: An Australian film photography podcast featuring film camera reviews, instant camera reviews, and everything analogue photography related.
- The Negative Positives Podcast: A podcast mostly about film photography. Hosted by Mike Gutterman, Andre Domingues, and Roxanna Angles.
- The Soot and Whitewash Film Photography Podcast: Neil Piper and Alex Purcell discuss their thoughts about anything analogue and film photography related.
- Sunny 16 Podcast: The Sunny 16 Podcast is a UK based show hosted by Ade, Rachel and Graeme which explores the world of analogue photography in all its forms.
Do you know any podcasts that should be on this list? Let me know in the comments!
Before you ask: I’m not starting my own podcast. Despite my background as a radio disk jockey, I prefer to write and I adore blogging. If that makes me dinosaur, so be it!
To get Down the Road in your inbox or reader, click here to subscribe!