Here’s a curious camera from 1966: Agfa’s Isoflash-Rapid C, which meant to compete with Kodak’s Instamatic but failed miserably. I showcase the camera and tell its story here.
For months and months now I’ve been updating all of my camera reviews. It has been both delightful to revisit old cameras and photographs, and tedious as hell to do the update work. I’m happy it’s over.
My film-camera reviews have become the cornerstone of this blog, together driving a great deal of search traffic here. My goal for this project was to strengthen the reviews and make them more visible to search engines, so they continue to bring traffic here for years to come.
Here’s a list of all of my camera reviews, if you’d like to visit any of them.
Here’s what I’ve done to each review:
- Enlarged all images. For the first few years I set images to be 500 pixels wide. It fit the template I used then. I reset them all to be 1024 pixels wide. WordPress templates automatically scale images wider than the text column to fit the text column. For this template, the text column on a regular post at Web resolution is a weird number, something like 682 pixels. If I ever switch to a template that has a wider text column the images will automatically scale up to that 1024-pixel limit, avoiding me having to do this all over again someday.
- Added more photos. I generally write a review after shooting a roll or two. But I used many cameras several times after the review and had more good photos to share. I added them.
- Improved many photos in Photoshop. In my early reviews, before I had good editing tools, I shared images exactly as they came back from the processor. I brought many of the photos into Photoshop and made them better.
- Uploaded some photos I’ve never shared before. Especially in my early reviews, I found some good photos that for whatever reason I never shared online before. I processed them in Photoshop and uploaded them to Flickr so I could use them.
- Updated my impressions, for many cameras. I had more to say about cameras I’ve used a lot.
- Edited the text. Especially my early reviews needed a once-over to improve readability and flow.
- Added links to related reviews. Search drives a lot of traffic to my reviews. I hope searchers click some of those links. But those links also help create a structure in my site that I hope helps search engines recognize me as a camera-review authority, leading to better search placement.
- Improved search-engine optimization. I used the Yoast plugin to help me add keyphrases and meta descriptions, and set key reviews as cornerstone content. I hope this also leads to better search placement.
When I started this project, I didn’t envision how long it would take. By Christmas I wondered when it would end. So I counted up the reviews to go and realized if I just leaned into it I could finish them in the few days I had off over the holidays. So I did.
You’ll see posts linking to the updated reviews on Tuesdays and Thursdays through about the middle of February. I share updated reviews in various Facebook groups on those days — it’s been a great source of traffic, and has netted me a few new readers.
To get Down the Road in your inbox or reader, click here to subscribe!