COVID-19

The snake finally bit me

Frustratingly for me, and for everyone in my house, I got COVID this week.

Monday evening I started to have a scratchy throat. Tuesday I had a runny nose, sneezing, sinus pressure, and headache. Wednesday the headache was worse, I was moderately fatigued, I felt some chest congestion, and I coughed a little here and there. I thought surely it must be a cold.

Thursday morning it struck me that in these pandemic times one can’t ever assume a cold is a cold. We had a couple COVID tests in the closet, so I took one. Both lines lit up immediately — positive.

I’m staying separated from my family until this passes. Because I was symptomatic for a few days before I sequestered myself, Margaret tested last night. Negative, thank goodness. She had COVID in January, and it lasted upwards of two weeks and laid her out good.

By Friday evening I had only a little lingering sinus and chest congestion. Today, Saturday, I feel 95% normal.

I worked every day through this, from home. I just didn’t feel that sick. I’m incredulous that this is COVID. It has felt for all the world like a mild cold, quickly forgotten after it passed.

I am double vaxxed and double boostered.

43 thoughts on “The snake finally bit me

1. Glad you’re feeling better. Could have been a lot worse if you’d not been vaxxed. Everyone in CT seems to have had, or has it now. But because our state has a high vaccination rate, hospital stays are way, way down, and cases are mild to moderate.

2. That’s what the vaccine does: gives you a head start on fighting off the virus so it doesn’t become the killer it can be. So glad it was just an annoyance for you and not anything worse!

Glad to hear you’re feeling better. All that practice you gave your immune system fighting Covid paid off.

Most people I know who have got Covid did so in the last two months. However none of them got seriously ill. Unlike at the beginning of the pandemic.

4. Shirley B. says:

Hi Jim,

first of all, I am happy to read you are feeling well so soon.

Second: vaccinations and boosters will help you feel like this. Though a bit of luck does help. For some people, the boosters don’t work do well and covid may hit them harder.

I hope your recovery will remain smooth.

5. Lone Primate says:

Congratulations on the relatively mild symptoms and quick recovery. I’m looking for my second booster myself when the province drops the number to my age group. :)

6. Glad you feel OK. I had similar symptoms this week – a mild sore throat that started last weekend, then a runny nose and feelings of lethargy. I assumed the worst but a couple of lateral flow tests were both negative, so I’m assuming it was just some random bug I picked up. Feeling fine now.

I wonder how long it will be (if ever) before we go back to just assuming we have a cold rather than suspecting Covid?

7. Carol Rowland says:

Sending white healing light to surround you and your family. I am sure this, too, shall pass.

8. Glad to hear that you are now recovered. I imagine that with having had the latest corvid version along with the vaccines that your immunity is pretty high right now. So far I have avoided it and have had all the vaccines. It is a lot easier since I am retired and pretty much can control the contact I have with people

• Yeah, I’m probably invincible to Covid right now.

I don’t go a lot of places. To the office once a week, to church on Sunday, to the grocery store, and about once a week Margaret and I end up at a restaurant. But as I retrace my steps in the week leading up to my symptoms, I think the most likely place I got it was in church.

9. Darts and Letters says:

Two people in our household have Covid, right now. We’re doing our best to mask around each other but as I’ve been the principal caregiver the past few days, I figure my turn may be coming, soon. Glad to hear you are 95%.

10. tbm3fan says:

When my wife had it she was laid out for 10 days in quarantine. Naturally I tested positive for it from her but had zero effects. This was the last week of November 2020 before any vaccinations.

11. Sounds like the vaccine has done it’s job! Plenty of Covid around here now, but hospitalisations and deaths are much lower than would be the case if we had not got to 97% vaccinated first! My mother has it, we think my wife had it a few weeks ago although she tested negative, but so far I have not yet been affected.

12. We all had it last fall. Luckily we were prepared with hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin from south of the border. All fine, my antibodies are off the chart and No mRNA poison for us. Vaxx if you want we haven’t and don’t intend to….haven’t had a flu shot in nearly 40 years either. Glad you’re feeling better.

13. Glad to hear that you’re feeling better. That has been the experience of my friends here in New Jersey who have caught it recently. I tested positive for antibodies very early on but never experienced any symptoms.

Because of the vaccines and the number of people already infected with covid in the United States it is becoming an endemic respiratory virus here. The variants will continue to become more contagious and eventually zero-covid states like China and New Zealand will succumb as well.

Both my GP and a friend who is a microbiologist tell me the same thing: If you haven’t had covid yet you will get it. If you have had covid you will get it again. In both cases the vaccine will reduce the likelihood of a serious outcome.

• Thanks Doug. Sobering stuff. I’m hoping our quarantining efforts here are going to spare our one so-far-COVID-free daughter the virus this time, and the rest of my family a repeat engagement.

Great that you had the tests and checked it out! I have a pal that called me today, double vaxxed and single boosted, and he got it. A non-vaxxer came into his office and slobbered on him. 3 days of feeling bad, then OK. At least you didn’t get hit enough to need hospitalization! I still mask up in any group situation, it’s like second nature now, like putting on my fedora.

Onward and upward!

• I feel pretty much normal already. It’s got to be the vaccines. I’m still positive though, which is frustrating. (I tested again today.)

15. I felt the same – incredulous that this is Covid when I caught it. It was probably due to all the prep work done to avoid getting it, having tried so hard to stay safe and then when you get it it’s all a little anti-climatic. Nonetheless, glad you are well and did not suffer much from it.

• I think it’s all the prep work to avoid it that makes it anti-climactic. I remember the stories of people who got it when the pandemic was new — horrorshow stuff.

16. I got it last week! I think it’s coming for all the people who have avoided it thus far. Luckily I was vaxed and boosted so didn’t get too sick.