Personal

A grave loss

My family is devastated today. Our daughter Rana has died, by her own hand. Rana was 36.

Me, Garrett, Damion, and Rana in October, 2021

I’ve known Rana since she was 7, when I married her mom. Even though that marriage didn’t make it, I’ve kept a relationship with Rana. For those of you who knew us then, you remember Rana as Ross. She transitioned a few years ago.

This loss hasn’t fully sunk in yet and already it hurts like hell.

I already have most of January’s posts written and queued on this blog, and so things will go on here as if nothing is wrong. That will be the furthest thing from the truth.

74 thoughts on “A grave loss

• Carrie Savage-Zimmerman says:

May Rana’s spirit continue to shine through you and your family in the coming days, weeks, months, years. Sharing her story will keep her alive in your heart and memories. May Prayers of healing and acceptance be of some small comfort in these times of darkness and uncertainty.

1. Shirley B. says:

My condolences for your loss. How I wish things were different for all of you. May you find or beginnen the strength you need, to carry you through the days and weeks to come.

2. LaRue Bennett says:

I’m so sorry, Jim. We pray that the Lord will give you comfort and peace and be very present with you and your family. I was getting ready to comment on some of your articles (positive!), but will wait a few days. LaRue Bennett (Just joined your group and shared an interest in Traders Point)

3. Your loss is devastating, I can only imagine. May happier times w Rana and your family hold you close as you maneuver through this difficult time.

4. I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss Jim. I really don’t know what to say other that my heartfelt condolences and thoughts are with you and your loved ones. Take care of yourselves.

5. Marie Rucker says:

May God wrap his loving arms around you and your family and give you comfort and peace during this most difficult time in your lives.

6. Syndi Chesser says:

Oh gosh. My heart breaks for you and Rana’s friends and extended family, Jim. I’m so very sorry for your loss…

7. Keith Walker says:

My deepest condolences and sympathy in your loss. Words cannot express my feelings.. I am so sorry. \
    From a very warm New Zealand

8. Jim, nothing i can say will help, i can’t really begin to imagine how you feel. Sometimes words are so inadequate. I am so very sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family. Andy

9. David Chan says:

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Such terrible news. There are no words. Thinking of you and yours at this time.

10. Victor Villaseñor says:

A big hug Jim. Heart skipped a beat or two reading this, can’t even imagine what it feels right in the family.

11. Andy Karlson says:

I’m so deeply sad to hear this, Jim. Healing mercies to you and your family as you journey through this heartbreak, and may Rana’s memory be a blessing.

12. Lee says:

Am sorry her pain became too great.
    I am sorry for your loss & pain. Remember you could not have stopped this. Forgive yourself for any thinking like that.
    Your whole family is in my prayers

13. David says:

I’m so sorry Jim. Your loss is unfathomable. Thank you for sharing this part of your life. My daughter is transitioning and struggling terribly. I worry so much for her and all the other young adults in mental pain.

14. Jane Safford Herr says:

So sorry that poor Rana felt she could not face another year. Although our society has come a long way in accepting those who transition there is still a need for more support for these folks. I’m sure she appreciated your support and love during her short life. My prayers are going out to you.

15. Rick Bell says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. At a time like this we can find comfort from the scriptures about the coming resurrection to a paradise earth. John 5:28,29 gives us the hope that we will see her again soon. Revelation 21:4 tells us that death will be done away with forever. Please accept my deepest sympathies.
    Rick Bell

16. Hi Jim,
    I’m deeply sorry for your loss. I really hope Rana trusted Jesus on her last moments.

I’m a Christian and I’ve been following your blog and your Flickr posts.

Jon