Sign to Mexico, Indiana

This way to Mexico
Kodak EasyShare Z730
2007

I didn’t make a trip to Texas to make this photograph. Rather, I drove to northern Indiana.

I don’t know how the town of Mexico, Indiana, got its name. All I know is that it was right on US 31 for a lot of years, until Indiana decided to move it and widen it to four divided lanes in the late 60s or early 70s. The new highway bypassed tiny Mexico, and I’m sure through traffic dried up instantly.

You’ll find this sign along current US 31 at a crossroads with Mexico’s Main Street. If you follow this sign, you’ll find that there’s not much to Mexico.

If you’d like to get more of my photography in your inbox or reader, click here to subscribe.

Photography

single frame: This way to Mexico

A giant sign pointing to a tiny town in northern Indiana.

Image

19 thoughts on “single frame: This way to Mexico

Multiple sources list a possible commemoration of the War of Mexican independence, that took place right before the town was platted, but no one knows why someone thought that would be a good idea…

2. Michael says:

Should have taken that left at Albuquerque!

I bet job seekers near there experience the same extreme annoyance with LinkedIn’s algorithms that I do – that somehow jobs in the countries of Brazil or Poland (or Peru as you mentioned) are somehow relevant to my search in Indiana (and are even listed as being in Brazil, IN). Even though I’ve flagged a lot of jobs it seems to make no difference. Morons! Curiously, I haven’t been shown results from Paris, France.

• Andy Umbo says:

One reason that my planned move to the Pacific Northwest from Milwaukee Wisconsin, has eliminated Milwaukie Oregon from the search! I’ve got enough problems getting mail now! Paris France? What about Paris Texas or Paris Wisconsin?

• tbm3fan says:

No beaches? I knew there was a good reason why I don’t live in Indiana. No salt aroma and 6 foot waves to surf at a minimum.

• Andy Umbo says:

Northern Indiana: great beaches along Lake Michigan! The Indiana Dunes! I’m living in Wisconsin and there’s actually people surfing off of Sheboygan and Manitowoc, but the weather has to be “rough” to get a wave! I always tell “coasters” that living on Lake Michigan is like living on the ocean, you can’t see the other side, so…. People on the coasts think when you say “Lake”, it’s like the 20 acre lake at their resort hotel! Lake Michigan is 14.3 million acres, 307 miles long and 118 miles wide!

• I did forget about Lake Michigan. Some wonderful sand dunes along the coast. But zOMG is that water ever cold except in about August and September.

3. Roger Meade says:

My dad, when he was a boy, spent some time on a farm owned by his grandmother outside Mexico, New York, a small town near the east end of Lake Ontario. I have never been there, but at that end of the lake there should be some good sand beaches. He liked to tell me about the telephone poles half buried by snow in the winter. Prevailing winds coming down the lake bring sand and snow!