Margaret and I spent last weekend in and around Lexington, Kentucky. It was our first getaway as a couple since our trip to Bardstown last October, and hoo boy, did we need this. Even though both of us have had our first COVID-19 vaccination shots, we still took steps to keep ourselves and others safe from the virus: we rented an Airbnb to avoid hotel lobbies and so we could make our own breakfast, and we took the rest of our meals at restaurants but outside. We did a few distillery tours, wearing masks. But mostly, we walked around Lexington with our cameras.

The Gratz Park neighborhood is just northeast of downtown, with Transylvania University on its northeast edge. It’s a small neighborhood of ten city blocks and a park. Established in 1781, many of the homes and other buildings here were built in the first half of the 1800s.

Here now, the doors.

Gratz Park, Lexington, KY

Here are a couple photos that take a wider view, so you can get a feel for the neighborhood.

Nikon Df, 28-80mm f/3.3-4.5G AF Nikkor

If you’d like to get more of my photography in your inbox or reader, click here to subscribe.

Photography

Thursday doors: Gratz Park, Lexington, Kentucky

The early-1800s doors of Gratz Park, Lexington.

Image

38 thoughts on “Thursday doors: Gratz Park, Lexington, Kentucky

1. I always liked Lexington. Though it has some rough areas, the historic districts give plenty of subject matter for the camera. There is an old private liberal arts college in quaint Berea, KY, and a well preserved Shaker village nearby, too. Or, you could go to Walmart in Bardstown.

• We managed to avoid the rough areas. We’ve been to the Shaker village; it was nice. I liked Bardstown a lot, both times I’ve been.

2. I’m glad you got away and Lexington is a great place to escape. Your methods of safe travels sound like mine. I have done Airbnb as well as places like Red Roof where you typically don’t go inside to get to your room.

I agree with the above commenter’s recommendations for both Berea and Shaker Village. You will find them goldmines for photography. If you visit Shaker Village, be sure to take the boat ride.

Nice doors, nice green grass and leaves too!
    No weekends away here yet, we’re heading into another lockdown :(

4. Christopher May says:

That’s quite an array of architectural styles for one place. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

5. Dan Cluley says:

That looks like a fun area to explore. I made a very brief stop in Lexington 2 years ago, but only really saw downtown.

I’m also going to recommend Berea. One of the main attractions there is Boone Tavern, a hotel & restaurant built by the college in 1909 that is across the old Dixie Highway from campus.

• I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I didn’t realize until your comment and a subsequent lookup that I was in Dixie Highway country! I walked up and down Main St. in Lexington, which was the DH.

• Dan Cluley says:

It’s not too surprising that you would be more familiar with the west route over the east.

6. What a wonderful collection of doors you have, and I bet it was refreshing and energizing strolling those neighborhoods. That first photo, the red church doors, is so pretty but then scrolling through I found every door intriguing. I am feeling the need to stroll a new neighborhood and look forward to doing so soon. Thank you for this virtual walk through Lexington!

• You’re welcome! If you stroll a new neighborhood and photograph the doors, I hope you’ll share them in your own Thursday Doors feature!

7. What a lovely area. The doors are spectacular. I love the transoms, especially the one with the intricately divide lights. Tall doors, double doors and lots and ots of beautiful reflections. Thanks for taking us along on your walk!

8. tbm3fan says:

Lots of interesting doors there. We got away last weekend for 3 nights/2 full days to Las Vegas. I don’t care for Las Vegas, I last saw it in 1966, but my wife likes it and she needed to get out. We both have had our shots and we both had the virus in the first week of December. She got sick and I had zero effects.

So Saturday to take my son zip lining over the Strip. Big deal for her while me not so much. She gambled three nights and won $400 to pay for gas and food as usual. My day was seeing Boulder Dam on Friday. Few people and got to shoot the Art Deco architecture with a Minolta 700si and Zeiss Ikon 6×9 folder using Arista 200 B&W and finished a color roll in a Pentax IQZoom 160. Bummer was no tours deep into the bowels of the Dam.

9. Keith Milsark says:

Jim, next time you’re down that way make a detour to the historic part of Georgetown, KY. Founded in 1790, it has gorgeous old homes and a well preserved downtown.

• We went up near Frankfort for a couple distillery tours and saw signs for Georgetown. We plan to go back; we’ll hit Georgetown for sure.

10. Reminds me of parts of Philadelphia. You found some lovely doors and buildings. My favorite is the blue brick with the red door. Glad you could get out for a trip. It makes such a difference. We both have both our shots but still take precautions. Why not? It’s not the difficult.

janet

• We’re taking precautions still too. Now that we’re half vaccinated we are slightly more open to some things than we were, but only slightly.

11. Darts and Letters says:

I like the fifth frame down, the blue brick and red door. that’s my favorite. Did you feel pretty good with the Df?

• The Df worked well. I did find about halfway into day 2 that I’d somehow moved the meter lever to “spot” rather than “matrix,” which messed up some of my shots. Otherwise, the camera just worked.

12. Darcy says:

When I was a child, I went to Harrison Elementary school. I used to walk by the coolest house, and on the side of the house was the smallest door. It was just small, but cute. It is on the corner of Second Street, and Bruce, may have been spruce street, it has been over 50 years. If its still there, next time your out, drive by there.