Film Photography

Where can you still get film developed? (Freshly updated for 2017)

This post fell a little out of date, so I wrote a new, updated post with fresh information about where you can get your film developed. Click here to read it!

32 thoughts on “Where can you still get film developed? (Freshly updated for 2017)

Don’t forget the now U.S Ilford Lab

Expensive, but when this was Swan lab, they had exceptionally clean processing (not very well made contact prints, tho, I got the idea the “kids” didn’t understand conventional printing that well). Can’t tell you how important it is to get clean, dust and ‘ding’ free film processing. If you don’t like the eventual prints, you can always have them remade, but damaged film is a horror!

• I see that Swan is still out there. I had read somewhere speculation that the Ilford lab was actually The Darkroom; both have a San Clemente address. But then, so does Swan.

A couple times I’ve gotten back negs with scratches on them. Once I am pretty sure that happened in camera, but the other time I doubt it.

2. Steve Miller says:

Thanks for sharing these resources. Still have my Nikor tanks and reels but it’s been close to 50 years since I’ve used them, and then just for b/w.

Still need to try out the Leica I just had restored…

• If you’re going to shoot just a little here and there, it makes no sense (to me) to process your own. Just send them out! Hope you get out with your Leica soon!

3. Adilson Brilhante says:

Moro em Boa Vista, estado de Roraima, Brasil, longe, portanto. dos grandes centros. Revelo os meus filmes preto e branco em casa, tenho revelador, fixador, etc. Fotografo, revelo e escaneio o filme, tornando um arquivo digital, depois escolho as melhores foto e mando para um laboratório em São Paulo. Tenho uma Nikon F2, uma Nikon FM2n, uma Asahi Pentax KL e uma Asahi Pentax SP500.

Hey that’s fun. I like that you link to old posts because I missed a lot before I encountered your blog.

Cool old shots from your rescued film. We have relative in Niagara Falls so as a kid I went there regularly. In our family photo Mom would have had a firm grip on my arm because I was infamous for climbing things that I shouldn’t.

Also the 3rd shot is taken in the secret garden, with the Rainbow Bridge in the background. Unlike a lot of things in Niagara Falls it is still there 40+ years later.

5. Christopher Smith says:

I develop my own B&W film in Caffenoll. For color film I use my local Camera shop “The Photo Shop” in Falmouth Cornwall and like you Jim I just have them scanned to CD, They will process any kind of color film neg in C-41 ie; 35mm,120,110 and APS. I can get slide film done as well in E-6.

• Oh how nice that your local lab processes E6. I have to send away for that.

I just had a bunch of prints made for a postcard exchange I’m part of – I have peel-and-stick postcard backs for 4×6 prints. When I need prints like that I just upload them to Walgreen’s, a large drug-store chain, and they print them and either mail them to me or leave them at the store nearest me for pickup.

6. SilverFox says:

I use my local camera store here in Burbank, CA. They are CAM Photo & Imaging and the have a website here http://www.camphotobur.com/.
    It’s a great little old school store selling new and used camera equipment as well as accessories and services including developing and printing, scanning plus service and repair. They have a large stock of film and provide good advice.
    Some of their services are farmed out but turnaround is still reasonable.

7. Dan Cluley says:

Very timely post.

My Mom has been getting a lot of reprints done from old 35mm negs. She can take them to Meijer and they send them off somewhere. The picture quality is quite good, but the turnaround time keeps increasing and they seem to be getting very sloppy about making the right number of prints from the right negatives.

So I was just suggesting she try one of the mail order places, and this should give me a good start on figuring out where to suggest.

• Several of the places I listed do negative reprints. Gotta tell you, I have a lot of anxiety over giving anybody my negatives. I’d scan them myself and send the digital files off to be printed!

8. I have used Dwayne’s before for B&W which was ok for developing film and scans. However, I dug out my box of photographic equipment that I have had since 1974, from when I took photojournalism at SDSU, and purchased new chemicals to do my own B&W again. My mother once took photography in the 70’s also and had a darkroom built in her house which I used up till it was sold in 2006. Still have the Beseler 23C in my possession even though I scan also.

Color is always sent out of course especially since I am pretty much a slide guy even though my stash of Kodachrome is useless. I’m looking forward to Ektachrome and the possiblity Kodachrome might come back given a comment by a Kodak executive.

9. Jon says:

This list is a good service Jim. Several names I had not heard of. I too have had exceptional service from Old School. Highly recommended.

10. Chris Swaim says:

There’s also F-11 Photographic Supplies in Bozeman, MT, and Allen’s Camera in SLC/Orem/Provo/Layton UT, and Nichols Photo in SLC UT.

11. Mike says:

You can also send your color (C-41) and B&W to Southerland Photo in Huntsville, AL. I get all my film done there and since it’s local it’s usually 24 hour. They scan straight to CD for me. For B&W they still develop by hand so it takes a little longer. They also provide VHS to DVD, scan film slides and photo restoration. http://www.southerlandphoto.net

12. Javier Hernandez says:

When discussing Willow Photo Lab, you say “quality is uneven.” Can you give me a better idea of what you mean, an anecdote perhaps? I’m thinking of sending them some work because I value traditional prints on ra-4 paper.

• I got one roll back where the negatives were a little spotted. But mostly the challenges I’ve had with them has been in the scanning. Twice I’ve had to send negatives back for rescan as the first scan was not up to par.

Since I wrote this, the owner of Willow sold it. I’m not sure to whom.

13. David Newton says:

Willow Photo Lab has resurfaced with new owners in Somerville, Ma.
    Prices are similar to the earlier owners.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )