When I started blogging about film cameras several years ago, I searched for other blogging camera collectors and film photographers, hoping to find community among others of like mind. I found several and have been amply rewarded by sharing in their adventures.
I follow a ton of photo bloggers, more than my blogroll lists. So for all of my fellow blogging film photographers, I’m going to list all of the photo blogs I follow.
And let’s make this an exchange. If you know of some film-photography or camera-collecting blogs I don’t list, please link to them in the comments!
These blogs are pretty active.
- 35hunter — Dan talks technique and gear, and shares his work.
- 52 Film Cameras in 52 Weeks – Tony shoots a different camera every week. As I write this, he’s on week 223 of his enormously undernamed project.
- 52 Rolls – A group blog from photographers who commit to shooting one roll of film a week for a year. Every year the crop of photographers changes.
- Best in Black and White — The official Ilford blog, with lots of shots on Ilford films from photographers everywhere.
- Between light and shadow, a borderline — Roy shares what he’s learned about film photography and shows us his work.
- Camera Legend — Sam collects legendary cameras and writes about using them.
- Captured by Film — Frequent postings of film images.
- Casual Photophile — Vintage gear reviews, plus a lot of fun, by James.
- Curating Cuteness — Katie shoots film with a small stable of cameras and posts images nearly every day.
- Daniel J. Schneider — Daniel posts gear and film reviews, as well as writes about his photographic journey.
- Emulsive — A blog that aims to prove that film photography isn’t hard.
- Exploratorius — Mitch shoots both film and digital, and teaches post-processing technique.
- Film Advance — Gary shares images from his eclectic collection of film cameras.
- Filmosaur — A Luddite not opposed to technology, if that makes sense.
- Film Photography Blog — A straightforwardly named blog from the Film Shooters Collective.
- Fogdog Blog — John and his Leicas and Nikon F2s and the northern California coast.
- For the easily distracted… — Rhianne in the UK shoots film, and lots of it.
- Kevin the Photographer — Film photographs, technique, and processing.
- Load Film in Subdued Light – Eric likes expired medium-format film and Polaroid pack film.
- Random Camera Blog – Mark shoots frequently with his old cameras and shares the results here.
- Photo-Analogue – Nicholas shares photos from his 20 film cameras and discusses tech and technique.
- Slow Photography — Film photographs from simple vintage cameras.
- The Resurrected Camera — Joe explores and discovers with his old film cameras.
- Zorki Photo — Stephen dispels the myths about film: that it’s too hard and too expensive.
These blogs post far less frequently, but I keep them in my feed reader hoping for more.
- All My Cameras – Christoph in Germany and his growing collection. In German and in English.
- Awesome Cameras — Couldn’t tell you who writes this, and the blog doesn’t take comments, but he/she does some nice work
- Beacon 225 — Ted collects quirky old cameras and shoots with them.
- Blatherskite — Moni writes about many things, but mostly about film photography.
- Broken Camera Club — This delightfully named blog reviews old gear.
- Jeanne Yang Photography — Lots of 35mm film passes through Jeanne’s cameras.
- Jim Grey — This is my Tumblr.
- Malkimata’s Camera – Norman shoots his old cameras and shares his wonderful photos.
- North East Liberties — Michael shares scenes from the region of Northern Ireland his blog is named after.
- Photography and Vintage Cameras – Mike does great work with his old cameras, especially in black and white.
- Picturenoise – A film photographer who leans toward lomography.
- Shelly Sometimes — Shelly is a photographer and graphic designer who favors film.
- Shimmering Grains — Marie in Sweden promotes film craftsmanship and shares here work.
- Short Stories — Gerald in the UK and his black-and-whites. Often with interesting stories to tell about them, hence the title.
- Slow photography — Jordi shares his experiences with gear and technique.
- Straight, No Chaser — Derek fixes up old cameras and makes them sing again.
- Urban Hafner Photography — Software developer by day, film photographer when he can find a moment.
- Utah Film Photography — Vintage gear photographs and reviews.
These blogs have ceased posting, or appear to have ceased posting, and I miss them.
- Analog Photography At Its Best – Paul Giambarba was the pioneering brand designer for Polaroid in the 1960s and 1970s. He shares his favorite film photos, usually Polaroids, from photographers everywhere.
- Crossings — A film blog, still up in memoriam of the author, who passed away in 2013.
- My Camera Cabinet – Reviews of interesting film cameras.
- The Casual Camera Collector – Jim writes short essays about film photography: gear, processing, printing, and what remains of the film business.
- Through a Vintage Lens – T. Rand Collins, M.D., and his collection of cameras from before 1950.
- What Is a Film Camera – Richard reviews the old film cameras he buys.