Updated 19 Aug. 2015. This post gets lots of visits every day thanks to Google searches. But blogs come and go. So I’ve refreshed this list so it remains relevant and useful.
When I started blogging about film cameras several years ago, I searched for other blogging camera collectors and film photographers, hoping to find community among others of like mind. I found several and have been amply rewarded by sharing in their adventures.
I follow a ton of photo bloggers, more than my blogroll lists. So for all of my fellow blogging film photographers, I’m going to list all of the photo blogs I follow.
And let’s make this an exchange. If you know of some film-photography or camera-collecting blogs I don’t list, please link to them in the comments!
These blogs are pretty active.
- 35hunter — Dan talks technique and gear, and shares his work.
- 52 Film Cameras in 52 Weeks – Tony shoots a different camera every week. As I write this, he’s on week 223 of his enormously undernamed project.
- 52 Rolls – A group blog from photographers who commit to shooting one roll of film a week for a year. Every year the crop of photographers changes.
- Best in Black and White — The official Ilford blog, with lots of shots on Ilford films from photographers everywhere.
- Between light and shadow, a borderline — Roy shares what he’s learned about film photography and shows us his work.
- Camera Legend — Sam collects legendary cameras and writes about using them.
- Captured by Film — Frequent postings of film images.
- Casual Photophile — Vintage gear reviews, plus a lot of fun, by James.
- Curating Cuteness — Katie shoots film with a small stable of cameras and posts images nearly every day.
- Daniel J. Schneider — Daniel posts gear and film reviews, as well as writes about his photographic journey.
- Emulsive — A blog that aims to prove that film photography isn’t hard.
- Exploratorius — Mitch shoots both film and digital, and teaches post-processing technique.
- Film Advance — Gary shares images from his eclectic collection of film cameras.
- Filmosaur — A Luddite not opposed to technology, if that makes sense.
- Film Photography Blog — A straightforwardly named blog from the Film Shooters Collective.
- Fogdog Blog — John and his Leicas and Nikon F2s and the northern California coast.
- For the easily distracted… — Rhianne in the UK shoots film, and lots of it.
- Kevin the Photographer — Film photographs, technique, and processing.
- Load Film in Subdued Light – Eric likes expired medium-format film and Polaroid pack film.
- Random Camera Blog – Mark shoots frequently with his old cameras and shares the results here.
- Photo-Analogue – Nicholas shares photos from his 20 film cameras and discusses tech and technique.
- Slow Photography — Film photographs from simple vintage cameras.
- The Resurrected Camera — Joe explores and discovers with his old film cameras.
- Zorki Photo — Stephen dispels the myths about film: that it’s too hard and too expensive.
These blogs post far less frequently, but I keep them in my feed reader hoping for more.
- All My Cameras – Christoph in Germany and his growing collection. In German and in English.
- Awesome Cameras — Couldn’t tell you who writes this, and the blog doesn’t take comments, but he/she does some nice work
- Beacon 225 — Ted collects quirky old cameras and shoots with them.
- Blatherskite — Moni writes about many things, but mostly about film photography.
- Broken Camera Club — This delightfully named blog reviews old gear.
- Jeanne Yang Photography — Lots of 35mm film passes through Jeanne’s cameras.
- Jim Grey — This is my Tumblr.
- Malkimata’s Camera – Norman shoots his old cameras and shares his wonderful photos.
- North East Liberties — Michael shares scenes from the region of Northern Ireland his blog is named after.
- Photography and Vintage Cameras – Mike does great work with his old cameras, especially in black and white.
- Picturenoise – A film photographer who leans toward lomography.
- Shelly Sometimes — Shelly is a photographer and graphic designer who favors film.
- Shimmering Grains — Marie in Sweden promotes film craftsmanship and shares here work.
- Short Stories — Gerald in the UK and his black-and-whites. Often with interesting stories to tell about them, hence the title.
- Slow photography — Jordi shares his experiences with gear and technique.
- Straight, No Chaser — Derek fixes up old cameras and makes them sing again.
- Urban Hafner Photography — Software developer by day, film photographer when he can find a moment.
- Utah Film Photography — Vintage gear photographs and reviews.
These blogs have ceased posting, or appear to have ceased posting, and I miss them.
- Analog Photography At Its Best – Paul Giambarba was the pioneering brand designer for Polaroid in the 1960s and 1970s. He shares his favorite film photos, usually Polaroids, from photographers everywhere.
- Crossings — A film blog, still up in memoriam of the author, who passed away in 2013.
- My Camera Cabinet – Reviews of interesting film cameras.
- The Casual Camera Collector – Jim writes short essays about film photography: gear, processing, printing, and what remains of the film business.
- Through a Vintage Lens – T. Rand Collins, M.D., and his collection of cameras from before 1950.
- What Is a Film Camera – Richard reviews the old film cameras he buys.