Road Trips

Return I will to old Brazil

Before you read this, click Play on this video. If you get caught up watching the animation, which is pretty cool, then play it again before you read the rest of this post and let it provide a soundtrack!

In 1986 I first visited Brazil, Indiana, about which that song was not written but about which I always think when I hear it. A college friend was raised there and he and I sometimes drove to town; I forget why. I wondered aloud one day about why the main drag was named National Avenue, and he replied, “It’s the name of an old highway, older than US 40.” That’s the first time I remember thinking the question that has spurred my roadsleuthing and road trips ever since: “I wonder where it used to go?”

Now I know, of course; it was the National Road and it stretched east to Cumberland and Baltimore in Maryland, and west to Vandalia in Illinois. And today it is US 40.

I’ve been through Brazil a bunch of times, and have even passed through on road trips with camera in hand, but never stopped to photograph it. I wish I had not delayed, as there used to be a Grey’s Auto Parts on the west end of town. I would have liked to have a photo of the sign. I always wondered if there was any relation, but it’s gone now, and so there’s nobody left to ask.

I don’t have anything eloquent or insightful to say about Brazil, but I did get some good photographs, so I’m going to write about them.

The Clay County courthouse was built in Brazil in 1914. The town itself was founded in 1866, although its roots go back to at least 1840.

Brazil, IN

Does your county’s courthouse have an F-86 fighter jet on its lawn?

Brazil, IN

When a town booms and booms again, old buildings get torn down to make way for new as prosperity continues. When a town booms but once, in its early days, its old buildings remain and are adapted to many uses their builders did not foresee. Brazil fits into the latter category.

I don’t know for sure, but I’m probably not going too far out on a limb to say that this building used to house The Brazil Times newspaper.

Brazil, IN

This building is a hodgepodge of misguided remodelings.

Brazil, IN

Some of Brazil’s downtown buildings have at least been tastefully redone.

Brazil, IN

This is the most original-looking building I saw in town.

Brazil, IN

This is the 1909 D. H. Davis building, and it’s for sale. You can own it for a mere $45,000.

Brazil, IN

Harris Bank donated the 1901 Brazil Trust Co. building to the Indiana National Road Association, which hopes to sell it for $45,000.

Brazil, IN

I remembered from my 1980s visits that Brazil had a number of brick streets, so I stepped off the National Road briefly in search of one. I didn’t have to look for very long.

Brazil, IN

There’s plenty more to see in Brazil, but my time was running short. I made for the west edge of town where State Road 340 begins. At 5½ miles, it is the longest two-lane alignment of old US 40 and the National Road in Indiana. A four-lane US 40 was built in 1939 parallel to this alignment about 1000 feet to the south. I wonder what made it impossible to widen the original alignment.

Brazil, IN

I’ve driven this road any number of times with a camera in the car, but I only ever get photos at its ends, like this one. The road gets just enough traffic, and is narrow enough in all the most scenic spots, that there’s never a good opportunity pull my car over!

Brazil, IN

ReadMoreDo you like experiencing small-town America on the old highways? Check out Ellicott City, Maryland, at the other end of the National Road.

17 thoughts on “Return I will to old Brazil

1. Lone Primate says:

Ah, Jim, how many times have you made my morning. :) You’re still a DJ, just on a different radio.

I’d be curious to learn how the place came to be named Brazil; I bet there’s an interesting story there in and of itself.

Why in the world are they selling those places for a tenth or a twentieth of their value? Judging from the photos, Brazil looks tidy and orderly; it doesn’t look like it’s on the skids or anything. Quite the contrary. What gives?

There’s something so compelling about that last shot. It’s like stepping back in time through a photo… somehow it looks like the 60s, only in colour. If you know what I mean. :)

• Brazil, Indiana, has its roots in a farm that dates to the 1840s. At that time, the country Brazil had been in the news, and it apparently captured the farm’s owners imaginations so much that they named their farm Brazil. Apparently, others settled around the farm and in 1866 the whole place was incorporated as a town using the farm’s name.

Most small Indiana cities are declining, and Brazil is no exception. Coal and clay were major industries in and around Brazil 100 years ago, and that’s what built the town, but there’s no real industry in the area anymore that I can see. Brazil is too far away from Indianapolis to become a bedroom community. It’s only 20 minutes from Terre Haute, and when I lived there I knew several people who lived in Brazil and commuted to TH for work, but Terre Haute has been declining for years, too. It’s sad to see these buildings in Brazil go for so little — I could buy both buildings for less than I paid for my modest house in Indy! — but it only reflects the economic realities of the region.

Indiana also has a Mexico and a Peru, by the way.

2. Jen Tullis says:

My grandparents are still alive, if you like I can ask them about Grey’s Auto Parts. My grandfather was the next to the youngest of many siblings. He and my Aunt Dorlene are still living and they still tell stories about Brazil. My aunt still lives there. My mom graduated from Brazil when it was still Brazil High School. I remember when I was a kid how excited I would get if I got to go with Grandma to Brazil to get groceries or to the pizza place that was next to Dairy Queen. My Dad use to get my brothers and I ice cream from that DQ if we were good. Thanks Jim for bringing back memories of Brazil. I know its not much of a town, but it’s home to a lot of people I love. Jen

• Brazil’s the kind of place where I wouldn’t mind spending my retirement. Small, easy to get around, plenty of character, inexpensive to live there. Geez, I could buy the Davis building, renovate the upstairs and live in it, and open a little store of some sort on the ground floor.

• Lone Primate says:

Or created two or three apartments and let someone else pay the mortgage. :) Mind you, at fifty grand, there probably wouldn’t be much of a mortgage in twenty years. All gravy!

Think it’ll be a bedroom community of Greater Outer Indianapolis by 2030? :)

• Katrina says:

I don’t know, Jim. We lived 1.5 hours away from DC and 1.15 hours away from Northern VA and we are definitely a growing bedroom community. Stranger things have happened. I hope I’m still around to see it.
          Thanks again for the photos and wonderful trip.

3. Katrina says:

Jim,
    Quite a trip down memory lane for me. I love reading about your road trips. I was just home in July and was saddened by the economic downturn in TH as well as Brazil…not that Brazil was ever thriving while I lived there.

The last photo looks like it was taken in Cloverland….at the opposite end of Rte 340. Is that true?

Thanks for the wonderful journeys that you allow me to take sitting in my office chair in beautiful Virginia.

4. Steve says:

Grey’s Automotive is now operating under the name of Toy Auto Parts. Strange, but I think it’s the new owners last name. Jimmy’s (Grey) still around there to answer questions, if you hurry (812/446-2354). I think he signed a contract to stay with them a while. Jimmy and I graduated together from BHS in 1969.

5. Jerad H says:

When I found this post on a search for the Davis bldg, I thought you were the Jim Gray that owned that auto parts store. One I started reading it, I realized you weren’t. If anyone has any questions about Brazil, just ask. I live there now.

6. Fred (Fritz) Lavery says:

My mother was born south east of Brazil in 1916. my dad was in Brazil in 34-35 with the C.C.C. working on Forrest Park. i was born in 1936. we were in Ohio, my dads home. We moved to Brazil in 1948. i went to a one room school (Wesley Chapel) south east of Brazil. then to BJHS in the 7th grade then to BHS in the 9th grade ended up in the class of 54. i remember all of the old buildings and brick streets. Clay county was the brick capitol of the world, so why not use bricks on the streets.the Indianapolis 500 track is called the Brick Yard ???

• Fritz, thank you for sharing your memories. Sure enough, the 500 track is the Brickyard, but unfortunately the bricks were made in Veedersburg, not Brazil!

• Eve says:

It looks like Brazil is still the brick city. We are currently building a home near St. Louis, MO and our builder told us that the brick that is being applied to our house is being made in Brazil, IN. It is a new style of brick that is being made specifically for Lombardo Homes. I was quite surprised when we were told this since I have been working on some family genealogy and had learned that my grandfather (whom I never knew and only spoke to twice) was born in Brazil, IN. I received his birth certificate recently and found out that his parents names were Ben and Ada (Christenberry) Jenkins. Do you know, Fred, if your mother knew this family? I am eager to visit Brazil one day to see where my family came from. Jim, I have really enjoyed finding this web page and seeing the beautiful historical buildings of Brazil. I know one jewelry artist whom lives there that I buy jewelry from when she visits St Louis art fairs, Carolyn Phillips. I am even more excited to visit Brazil, my family roots, one day soon!!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )