I’m always looking for good blogs written by everyday people, but many of the ones I’ve enjoyed hardly post anymore, and new ones are harder and harder to find. Could the personal blog’s golden era have waned?
My feed reader is as full as ever, but is now more full of posts written by people whose blogging is somehow tied to their livelihood. Those blogs are plenty interesting, but I miss the voices of people just sharing their hobbies, interests, passions, thoughts, and feelings.
Well-Written Personal Blogs
- HeatherBlog – A travel blog by Heather from Minnesota. Obviously, she’s escaping the winters.
- Hill + Pen - Personal blog about life and faith written by a lawyer.
- Hoosier Happenings - A fellow Hoosier and Michigan Road lover shares his views.
- in case i’m gone - A mom whose time may be short writes to her young son so he might know her.
- String Too Short to Tie - Personal blog of a fellow Hoosier.
- The Literate Pen - Southern writings and ramblings.
People with Something to Say
- Altucher Confidential - James Altucher tells the truth, his truth anyway, because he sees it as his path to sanity.
- Ashes of Our Fathers - Celebrating Western civilization.
- Penelope Trunk – A blog about career advice. And about Penelope Trunk.
- Ate Up with Motor - In-depth history and commentary on interesting cars and the people behind them.
- Curbside Classic – Every car has a story. (I sometimes contribute to this blog.)
- Jim’s Garage - Cars and driving.
- Old Parked Cars – Just as the name says.
- Coding Horror - Programming and human factors.
- Developsense Blog - Thinking critically and radically about software testing.
- Rands in Repose - Intelligent writing about building software and managing geeks.
- Denny G’s Road Trips Blog – A blog by a well-known road tripper.
- On the Road - The blog of AARoads, a leading roadfan site. Great photos from road trips.
- Roadside Architecture Blog - A woman, her four dogs, and her road trips.
- Sure, Why Not? - On the road with Adam Prince, a fellow roadfan.
- After the Final Curtain – Grand old theaters, abandoned and beautifully photographed.
- Historic Indianapolis – Sharing the disparate particles discarded by previous generations of Indianapolis residents.
- Preservation in Pink – Encouraging preservationists.
- By Ken Levine – Stories of TV from the comedy writer behind several shows you know.
- Live Apartment Fire – By a TV news reporter who’s in his fourth decade in the business.
Photography and Old Cameras
- 52 Cameras in 52 Weeks - He shoots with a different old film camera every week.
- 52 Rolls – One roll of film each week for a year.
- Beacon 225 – A fellow old-camera collector and the photos he gets from his collection.
- Blatherskite – Film photography and foolish gibberish.
- Life, Edinburgh – Guerilla film photography. This dude makes his own cameras!
- Photography and Vintage Cameras - He spends much of his time making photographs, usually with old film cameras.
- Random Camera Blog - One man’s thoughts and activities in photography, camera collecting, current events, and photographic tips.
- Shorpy - Really old photographs.
Faith and Christianity
- Concert F – A blog about several topics, but I appreciate the faith posts the most.
- Kingdom Seeking – An almost-daily update from a Church of Christ preacher.
- Rob Bell – A blog about the Bible by the well-known writer and preacher.
21 February 2014